Can you still grow taller at 16? How can you improve your height quickly and effectively during this period? To understand more about this, check out the following article from Debametulam.com!
Does height still develop at 16?
Many young people wonder if they can still grow taller at 16. There are three main stages in the process of height growth. The fetal stage, from birth to 3 years old, and the pre-puberty stage are the most prominent and clear stages. These are the factors that will affect the height development of children:
- Genetics: Genetics are thought to have a small influence on a child’s height development (about 23%). However, this is not the determining factor for an individual’s final height.
- Nutrition: This is a factor that significantly impacts a child’s height and can help them achieve exceptional growth (about 32%). A healthy and nutritious diet can help children reach their maximum height at age 18.
- Physical activity: About 20% of a child’s physical development process (including height growth) is due to physical activity. Children who exercise regularly and engage in physical activity from a young age are more likely to achieve taller heights than those who do not.
- Quality of sleep: The quality of sleep is also a factor that helps children develop their intelligence and height quickly. Deep sleep promotes height growth by stimulating the pituitary gland to release growth hormones. Getting enough sleep also helps the recovery and development of children’s cells and bones to occur more quickly.
Research shows that children can grow up to 7cm per year during pre-puberty or puberty. Girls can increase their height by 7-10cm per year starting from the age of 8. The height growth process for girls occurs faster at the age of 11 and 12, and it reaches its maximum at the age of 13 and 14. Boys’ height can increase by 10-15cm per year, starting before the age of 9, and it reaches its peak at the age of 13-14.
The height of both boys and girls at the age of 16 continues to increase but tends to slow down or be less noticeable. From the age of 16, girls increase their height by an average of 3-5cm/year, and boys increase their height by 5-7cm/year. At the age of 20, most women and men only grow an additional 1-3cm per year, after which their growth stops.
At the age of 16, children can still grow taller. If proper height growth care and measures are taken, they can achieve their maximum height when they reach adulthood.
How to improve height at age 16?
You can improve the rate of height growth at the age of 16 by taking the following measures:
Improve your diet
Nutrition provides the necessary nutrients for growth. Specifically:
Protein is essential for the development and formation of muscle, bone, and cartilage. This nutrient mixture includes 20 amino acids. The body produces 9-11 of the remaining amino acids and supplements them from various foods.
Protein is quickly absorbed into the body and begins building muscle. It also promotes the development of bone cells. This will accelerate the growth rate of the child.
Studies have shown that protein plays a role in the production and synthesis of growth hormones. This is what provides energy for the body. This can improve your overall health and complete the process of height and brain development.
Children who are in the developmental stage should eat lean meat. They should eat foods that are rich in protein.
- Lean chicken
- Dairy products (cheese or yogurt, etc.)
- Some green vegetables (spinach, broccoli, etc.)
- Purple onion
- Calcium-rich foods
Calcium is essential for the formation, development, and maintenance of healthy bones. Playing an important role in bone formation, this mineral helps make bones stronger and more durable, helping children and adolescents grow taller. Children from the age of 16 should supplement 1000-1200mg of calcium per day to achieve their ideal height.
Types of foods that help supplement calcium
- Nuts, such as sesame and chia seeds: provide 9% of your daily calcium intake. This food group also provides additional omega-3 fatty acids to support vision and brain development.
- Cheese: 28g of cheese meets 5-20% of your daily calcium needs. Cheese is high in protein, vitamin D3 (a supplement that enhances the body’s ability to absorb calcium).
- Plain yogurt – A 245g cup of plain yogurt provides 30% of the body’s calcium needs and 45% when you use low-fat yogurt. This food is very rich in vitamin B2, vitamin A12, potassium, protein, and phosphorus.
- Canned sardines: With 92g, it meets 35% of the calcium needs.
- Canned salmon – meets 21% of calcium needs with 85g of salmon with bones.
- Legumes: A bowl of cooked beans, about 172g, contains 244mg of calcium. This provides 245% of your daily calcium needs.
- Almonds: Receive 8% calcium from 22 nuts.
- Use 190g of green leafy vegetables (water spinach and spinach) to meet…
Research has shown that zinc deficiency can lead to slow physical development in children, increase the risk of bone disease, and reduce height. This nutrient helps improve the ability of bones to absorb calcium from the blood, which supports bone development and helps children grow taller.
To ensure superior joint and bone development, supplementing zinc in the diet of children under 16 is crucial.
You should incorporate zinc-rich foods into your diet, including:
- Red meat: Provides 44% of daily zinc requirements when consuming 100mg of beef.
- Shellfish (oysters, clams, mussels): 6 oysters contain 32mg of zinc, equivalent to 295% of daily zinc requirements.
- Legumes: 100g of cooked lentils provides necessary zinc levels.
- Seeds: Provide 31-43% of zinc in 100g of pumpkin seeds.
- Other zinc-rich foods: Dairy products, dark chocolate, eggs, whole grains, and other nuts.
Foods rich in vitamins
To increase height at 16, you need to have a varied diet that contains vitamins. You should increase the intake of the following vitamins:
- Vitamin D: Increases the body’s ability to absorb calcium. Foods rich in vitamin D include egg yolks, milk, eggs, shrimp, shellfish, mushrooms, salmon, canned tuna, etc.
- Vitamin K: Helps transport calcium to the bones. Foods rich in vitamin K include green vegetables and eggs.
- Vitamin A: Promotes visual, mental, and physical development. Foods rich in vitamin A include cod liver oil, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, beef liver, black-eyed peas, and spinach.
- Vitamin B: Boosts the immune system and contributes to the formation of growth hormones. Foods rich in vitamin B include salmon, oysters, and clams.
- Vitamin C: Increases immunity and enhances metabolism. Foods rich in vitamin C include red bell peppers, broccoli, oranges, kiwis, and black grapes
Drink a lot of water
To grow taller, you need to eat healthy and drink 2 to 2.5 liters of water per day. Studies have shown that filtered water can help eliminate heat. Metabolism will occur faster and more efficiently with fewer toxins. This ensures that the development of the brain, height, and physique will proceed smoothly.
It is important to divide 2.5 liters of water into multiple drinking sessions to avoid bloating. You should also drink 2 glasses of warm water each morning when waking up and when you are hungry. This will help cleanse your digestive system and improve your ability to eliminate toxins.
Sunbathing is essential
Vitamin D is only found in small quantities in our diet. To supplement vitamin D, you should sunbathe and participate in physical activities. Vitamin D helps absorb calcium from food. Combining vitamin K2 with vitamin D helps transport calcium into bones.
Participating in sports
Playing sports and exercising regularly is one of the best ways to significantly increase height at the age of 16. Experts recommend that children in the developing age group should exercise for 60 minutes a day and participate in one of the following sports:
Running: Running, especially sprinting, helps stretch bone joints, providing conditions for bone cells to grow and cartilage to expand. This sport stimulates the pituitary gland to increase the production of growth hormones, aiding in height development.
Jumping rope: Constant high jumps while skipping rope can help stretch and relax muscles. It can also increase bone and cartilage development.
Jumping jacks: Similar to jumping rope, jumping from one place to another can help you strengthen your muscles, bones, and joints. It also supports height growth.
Swimming: To increase height at least at the age of 16, you should swim for at least 60 minutes a day. This sport allows you to exercise with high intensity underwater, stretching muscles and joints. This encourages bone development and height growth.
Basketball: Basketball is essential for height growth after puberty. This sport can improve height by stretching the spine and stimulating bone growth.
Warm up carefully before playing sports to relax your joints and warm up your body.
Yoga poses can be used to strengthen the spine, increase bone density, and stretch muscles. Yoga can also improve mood, sleep quality, metabolism, overall health, and stimulate the production of growth hormone by the pituitary gland.
Below are some common yoga poses used:
Hasta Uttanasana (Upward Salute)
Hasta Uttanasana, also known as Upward Salute, has the ability to stretch muscles and improve flexibility for the spine. It also helps to increase height.
- Stand straight, raise both hands high above the head, and breathe evenly.
- Slowly bend forward and place both hands behind the back. Keep your arms close to your ears.
- This position should be held for 30 seconds.
Plank Pose can be used to strengthen muscles and increase your height.
- Place your forearms on the ground and face down.
- You can lift your entire body and toes until your arms touch the ground. Keep your spine, neck, and legs straight.
- This position should be held for about 30-60 seconds.
Pranamasana (Prayer Pose)
Pranamasana, or Prayer Pose, helps to relax and adjust your posture.
- Stretch both legs straight to the edge of the mat.
- Relax your shoulders and open your chest.
- Inhale and raise your hands up. Then, bring your palms together in front of your face.
- This pose should be held for three minutes.
Hastapadasana (Standing Forward Bend)
Hastapadasana (Standing Forward Bend) is an excellent way to stretch your arms and legs.
- Stand straight, raise both hands high above the head, and breathe evenly.
- As you exhale, bend forward.
- Place your hands on your ankles or use your fingers to touch them.
- This position should be held for 30 seconds.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) is a way to stretch the upper body and muscles. It also stimulates the expansion of bones and cartilage.
- Place your palms and feet in front of you, and place your face on the ground.
- Raise and arch your upper body. Keep your forearms straight. Keep your feet and hands on the floor.
- Look up, slightly arching backward. This pose should be held for about 30-60 seconds.
Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose)
After completing the Cobra Pose, you should start Adho Mukha Svanasana (“Downward Facing Dog Pose”). This pose is great for stretching your hips, abdomen, back, and hip joints. It also stimulates bone growth.
- Place your face on the floor.
- For the “V” shape, your body must be on the ground with your feet and hands.
- This position should be held for about 30-60 seconds. Breathe evenly.
Baby Pose (or Child Pose) is an excellent way to relax your muscles and joints.
- Place your toes on your feet, kneel down, and place your feet on the ground in front of you.
- Keep your arms and back straight.
- Breathe evenly. This pose should be held for a few minutes.
Get enough sleep and start sleeping early
You need to make sure you get enough sleep to increase your height at age 16. You should sleep from 11pm to 12am, get 8-9 hours of sleep each night, and take a nap for 15 to 30 minutes every day. Deep sleep will activate the release of growth hormone (GH). This hormone can promote height growth. Growth hormone (GH) is normal, but its levels increase during deep and long sleep.
In addition, the growth and cell regeneration process occurs while you sleep. This is necessary to build the skeletal system, expand joint cartilage, and maintain the function of all organs.
Change living habits
Healthy habits can help improve height and limit bone deformities. Specifically:
- No alcohol: If you want to develop height, you should not drink alcohol. These drinks can cause problems with the body’s ability to absorb and transport minerals into bones. This can cause delayed height development compared to peers of the same age.
- No smoking: Cigarettes contain ingredients that increase bone damage and loss. They also reduce the ability to absorb nutrients and excrete calcium. This hinders the growth of children.
- Proper posture is very important: When you are performing activities or sleeping, it is necessary to keep your back straight. To balance the weight, your shoulders should be curved and your head should be facing forward. This reduces the pressure and curvature of the spine, allowing you to maintain the natural growth of your body.
- Keep weight under control: Follow a healthy diet to avoid malnutrition and osteoporosis. You also need to control your weight to avoid obesity or overweight. This puts pressure on the spine and can affect the normal development of your skeletal system.
- Avoid unhealthy foods: Do not eat fast food, cakes, fried foods, or foods with a lot of oil. This is because these foods reduce the absorption of calcium.
Control stress: Stress can affect sleep, metabolic processes, growth hormone secretion, and mood. To manage stress, meditation, listening to music, and sharing with loved ones is very important.